[AusNOG] Telstra using US DOD IP's like they are RFC1918

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Sat Apr 23 08:40:57 EST 2016

--- settra+ausnog at gmail.com wrote:
From: Ben Hohnke <settra+ausnog at gmail.com>

That site does state that those ranges aren't advertised publicly, and only
used internally - at lease I'm not receiving them on my feeds:
xxx-xxx-BDR01#sh ip bgp 30.0.0.0
% Network not in table
xxx-xxx-BDR01#sh ip bgp 30.0.0.0/8 longer-prefixes
xxx-xxx-BDR01#

Doesn't make it right, however I'm sure in a network of Telstra's scale,
RFC1918 exhaustion is would be an issue!

Not always.  It's usually mis-appropriation of IP space that causes
that type of exhaustion and by the time it needs reorganizing the
mess is so big, it's a dauntingly large and complex project.  When
we cut off Verizon Hawaii's network to a stand alone network, we
noticed they used 113.0.0.0/8 as their pseudo 1918 space.

RFC 1918 gives 16,777,216 + 1,048,576 + 65,536 addresses!

scott