[AusNOG] Telstra using US DOD IP's like they are RFC1918

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 12:56:36 EST 2016

On 22 Apr 2016 11:31 AM, "Ben Hohnke" <settra+ausnog at gmail.com> wrote:

> That site does state that those ranges aren't advertised publicly, and
only used internally - at lease I'm not receiving them on my feeds:
> xxx-xxx-BDR01#sh ip bgp 30.0.0.0
> % Network not in table
> xxx-xxx-BDR01#sh ip bgp 30.0.0.0/8 longer-prefixes
> xxx-xxx-BDR01#
>
> Doesn't make it right, however I'm sure in a network of Telstra's scale,
RFC1918 exhaustion is would be an issue!

I've heard there might be this new technology out there that solves the
problem of running out of addresses. Internet protocol version six or
something like that.

Is anybody running it yet? Know something about it?

Nathan.Brookfield at simtronic.com.au> wrote:

>> Thus rending anyone who may actually want to reach DOD IP's in those
ranges unable to do so and going against RFC's and network best practise.

>> Anyone who does that is questionable, in my opinion at least . . . .
>>

>> ________________________________

in between to keep the routing domains separate.

Bradley.Amm at telethonkids.org.au> wrote:

>>> Do they have a MPLS.
>>>
>>> They do it their MPLS network

Nathan Brookfield
>>> Sent: Friday, 22 April 2016 8:44 AM
>>> To: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
>>> Subject: [AusNOG] Telstra using US DOD IP's like they are RFC1918
>>>

>>> Morning All,
>>>

>>> So I've been asked by a customer to explain a traceroute, after
reviewing it and telling them to contact Telstra because the hop count out
of the Telstra network is putrid, I noticed something
else unusual/concerning:

>>> Any idea's on why Telstra are using 30.0.0.0 addresses as if
it's RFC1918 private IP space, surely this is the oversight of someone who
needs to find a new job.

nathan.brookfield at simtronic.com.au