[AusNOG] Seeking GPON hardware supplier

ausftth at mail.com ausftth at mail.com
Fri Apr 22 04:02:26 EST 2016

> In short, since we're just wanting IP there are the three approaches that can meet our needs:
> - Direct copper (switches in risers)
> - Direct fibre (switches in risers)
> - GPON (OLT in basement)
  Nothing is stopping you from putting the direct fibre switch in the basement. No need for space or power in the risers. Using 1G BiDi optics ($12/$16) you can comfortably home-run 96/144/288 units with a single cable.

  Easy to upgrade too. Change optics for 10G or plug in a splitter and run any kind of PON you like.

  Copper might be nominally cheaper, but fibre might have a lower total lifetime cost when you take into account the savings on space and power. Low cost 1G fiber switches are $20 per port in single units.

Jared