[AusNOG] Seeking GPON hardware supplier

Aftab Siddiqui aftab at eintellegonetworks.com
Wed Apr 20 17:20:02 EST 2016

Hey Greg,

This sounds right to me - I am no expert but expect GPON is intended to
> deliver savings over considerably long distances, with sacrifices to
> performance (sharing fibre)

If you are using lower split ratio then there is no performance sacrifices.
I've seen deployment of 1:64 peak usage with 25/10Mbps without any
performance issues. I believe NBNCo is also doing 1:64 splits (someone did
mention it on ausnog). Vendors are claiming to allow 1:128 and 1:256 split
ratio as well.

> and increased complexity (use of ONT, OLT, splitters etc).

Yes, if you are comparing it with MetroE then it is but the complexity is
in planning not in provisioning/deployment.

> If your solution is within a high rise, distances are likely to be short
> (<200m?) so I guess the saving on fibre length and diameter is going to be
> quite minimal versus the extra complexity.  I have never seen a bundle of
> 1-2k fibres going up a riser, maybe there you would see the economies of
> scale (or just plain lack of options depending on the diameter at the
> bottom of the building and space in the riser).

GPON make sense for high rise building because you can extend 1 PON port
(1+1) per floor and then split it further on the basis of tenants/users.
Much less fibre required.

> I expect you would need an NTU of some kind anyway, but couldn't imagine
> GPON would be particularly effective for ~50-100 endpoints, especially
> considering the limitations imposed.

Yes, NTUs/ONTs are vendor locked (some vendors do provider Inter-op tested
ONTs as well). Even with 100 end-points on high-rise make sense and if you
want to provide higher bandwidth then use XGPON.

*Aftab Siddiqui *
eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
Email: aftab at eintellegonetworks.com ; Web: eintellegonetworks.com

Phone: 1300 239 038 ; Cell +61 (0)450 609 592 ; Skype: aftabsiddiqui2