[AusNOG] Seeking GPON hardware supplier

Greg Anderson ganderson at raywhite.com
Wed Apr 20 16:07:21 EST 2016

This sounds right to me - I am no expert but expect GPON is intended to
deliver savings over considerably long distances, with sacrifices to
performance (sharing fibre) and increased complexity (use of ONT, OLT,
splitters etc).  If your solution is within a high rise, distances are
likely to be short (<200m?) so I guess the saving on fibre length and
diameter is going to be quite minimal versus the extra complexity.  I have
never seen a bundle of 1-2k fibres going up a riser, maybe there you would
see the economies of scale (or just plain lack of options depending on the
diameter at the bottom of the building and space in the riser).

I expect you would need an NTU of some kind anyway, but couldn't imagine
GPON would be particularly effective for ~50-100 endpoints, especially
considering the limitations imposed.

Happy to be corrected on anything I have wrong here (again, not an expert)
but I am interested in where this thread goes.

On 20 April 2016 at 15:31, Ben Thompson <ben.thompson at 3play.com.au> wrote:

> Really good question, that's an option I had missed.
>
> Interestingly, when it comes to deliver 1Gb services in a high-rise
> context, GPON is proving to be the most expensive (!!), followed by your
> suggestion of direct-fibre, followed by direct-copper.
>

> Ben Thompson
>
> *3**Play Networks*
> *p:* 1300 301 946
> <jarrod at 3playnetworks.com.au>
>
> ben.thompson at 3play.com.au
>
>  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
> intended for use by the Addressee only. The confidential nature of the
> information contained in the email and/or file is not waived, lost or
> destroyed if it is sent in error to other than the Addressee. Use or
> dissemination of the information contained in the email and/or files by a
> recipient other than the Addressee may cause commercial damage to
> both/either the Sender and/or Addressee.If you are not the Addressee of
> this email/files please immediately contact the Sender and delete this
> email/files.
>
> On 20 April 2016 at 14:14, Matthew Moyle-Croft <mmc at mmc.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Does it _have_ to be GPON?  (ie. is the fibre plant architected that way?)
>>
>> For that kind of scale simple point-to-point can be easier and probably
>> cheaper and more flexible - just use normal switches (with a few caveats).
>> I know Cisco at one point sold a Cat4500 for doing this.  I’m sure other
>> people are more up on what’s cool with GigE SFP switches these days than me.
>>
>> MMC
>>

>> On 19 Apr 2016, at 7:31 PM, Ben Thompson <ben.thompson at 3play.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I'm seeking a supplier for small-scale GPON hardware and advice. Looking
>> to provide 1Gb services to facilities with 50 to 1000 endpoints.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>
>> Ben Thompson
>> *3**Play Networks*
>> *p:* 1300 301 946
>> <jarrod at 3playnetworks.com.au>
>> ben.thompson at 3play.com.au
>>
>>  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
>> intended for use by the Addressee only. The confidential nature of the
>> information contained in the email and/or file is not waived, lost or
>> destroyed if it is sent in error to other than the Addressee. Use or
>> dissemination of the information contained in the email and/or files by a
>> recipient other than the Addressee may cause commercial damage to
>> both/either the Sender and/or Addressee.If you are not the Addressee of
>> this email/files please immediately contact the Sender and delete this
>> email/files.

*Regards,Greg Anderson*
Senior Network Administrator   |   Ray White Group [image: Ray White]

T(07) 32312121
Whttps://www.raywhite.com
ALevel 26, 111 Eagle Street, BRISBANE QLD 4000