[AusNOG] Really embarrassing question.

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed Apr 13 19:31:03 EST 2016

<fx: hangs head in shame>

In a distracted moment, I've clobbered a file.

   > /var/mail/poorbastard

instead of

   > /var/mail/otherbastard

It's a FreeBSD system.
The file in question doesn't have a sufficiently recent backup I can
restore.
Blame, "should have" and similarly derogatory comments to /dev/null
thanks.

I was told "testdisk" might recover the file, but it didn't.
The file isn't worth $thousands+ and the downtime required for major
sector-by-sector recovery attempts, but if anyone has workable
suggestions, I'd be keen to hear them.

(So just to be clear, it's not simply a "deleted file" I want to recover.
Upside, the file will be plain text, and "most of it" is still useful,
unlike some others where anything less than 100% is the same as nothing).

Thanks,
R.