[AusNOG] Telco sales rep and default delay

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:22:29 EST 2016

On 13 Apr 2016 7:55 AM, "Dino Sosic" <Dino.Sosic at datacom.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed something that is consistent across all Telcos in this country.
You want to buy something whether its a DC cross-connect or a service, the
sales representatives take 20-30 days at the minimum to respond ( not
provision, respond to email/call/request! ).

> I understand lots of Telcos are going through change of processes etc (
due to merges/acquisitions ) but I don't get it, they don't like money or
what? :)

> In Europe if you do not respond back to our request within 2-3 days, you
lose lots of reputation as the word spreads  pretty fast, and lots of
competition out there to swap to.
> Maybe this is the issue? Not a lot of competition out there so they do
not care much?

> Thoughts?

So this is the problem that on-demand, software driven customer direct
service provisioning is solving. Those people and the service provisioning
people behind them are being "replaced by a script". Unfortunate for them,
however the lack of responsiveness has created the opportunity for other
people to fill with software.

I doubt modern organisations like Megaport who have a software driven
service provisioning model even have "sales reps" to sell individual
services.

Regards,
Mark.

> cheers,
> Dino

> Confidentiality and Privilege Notice
> This document is intended solely for the named addressee.  The
information contained in the pages is confidential and contains legally
privileged information. If you are not the addressee indicated in this
message or responsible for delivery of the message to such person, you may
not copy or deliver this message to anyone, and you should destroy this
message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Confidentiality and
legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to
you.