[AusNOG] Modern cable asset management solutions

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Tue Apr 12 12:19:43 EST 2016

Hi All,

I’m looking to avoid using classic adhesive text based labels and
spreadsheets for cabling assets in the future.

I’ve found some OK’ish solutions out there; though none seem to have a
cabling specific capability. e.g. I’d have to munge box/brick-like asset
types into a cable-like asset in some way.

So I’m very keen to hear from anyone who has direct experience when using (
or failed attempts to use! ) matrix barcode based systems and/or proximity
tags for this purpose.

I’m guessing proximity tags are likely not a great option. But I’ve not
ruled it out as a possible solution given the scale of proximity tag use in
manufacturing and logistics these days. It would also help in fast audits,
e.g. Quickly grabbing all ID’s for all cables and assets within immediate
range, but without having to look at every single one. Yes, that opens up
issues in shared colo spaces, but all options are of interest right now.

Basically want:
 1) Printable bar/matrix code for scanning using smartphone app; or
proximity tag that can be scanned with smartphone (NFC) reliably in high
density situations.
 2) Smartphone app that can present the info embedded within the code/tag
and ideally pull additional information from elsewhere, as well as insert
information to external system (e.g. notes and photos of A/B end
connections)

Ideally want to avoid entirely proprietary solutions or otherwise stupid
DMCA/whatever style roadblocks to understanding how to make the system
useful within our particular environments.

e.g. Want to avoid hearing/reading things from manufacturers like,

“You must use our billion dollar scanner thingy and nothing else. Trying to
use an iPhone to scan the barcode/tag will make it self destruct in 30
seconds.”
“You can only use our special golden unicorn hair based paper to print our
self destructing bar/matrix codes on.”
“Our solution is based on ancient magic and you may only use our official
Windows based app to generate them. P.S. it only runs on Windows 98.”
“All extensible data must be stored in an MS Access database on a Windows
2008 R1 server. 2012 and 2008 R2 not supported. Network share must not be
password protected.”

Humour and real fears/experiences aside; I’m sure you get the gist.

Please reply off list.

I will collate/summarise responses for anyone who expresses interest.

Thanks

-Colin