[AusNOG] Practical definition of "low impact"

paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au
Tue Apr 12 11:16:29 EST 2016

Totally agree with this approach, it works well 99% of the time.

Ultimately low impact I reckon is just the absolute essentials that you need to install to provide a service to a client, the act really doesn't and can't define it fully as there are too many variables.
If you are just doing a wireless link like Bigair or something then you will need cabling, maybe a box to inject POE in the MDF and an antenna on the roof, if it's a FTTB install you will need a rack and stuff in the MDF room, it will all depend on what you are delivering, but keep it simple and you shouldn't have any issues.

We are always respectful of the environment we work in with others as well, I recently had a Telstra tech comment on how neat my cabling was in an MDF room, when I said that it was important to keep things neat and tidy so that others would find it easier to share the space I think he just about had a heart attack, if more people considered others in such shared environments it would be so much easier.

Often people who give you trouble when you want to install something are the ones who have been burnt by other providers in the past, installing stuff they didn't agree to, leaving a mess, not locking doors after them, etc, etc, these people make it harder for the majority of people who do the right thing.

Regards
Paul