[AusNOG] Multi-Mode vs. Single-Mode in DC's

Jonathan Brewer jon.brewer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 10:21:21 EST 2016

Hi Skeve,

On 7 April 2016 at 12:04, Skeeve Stevens <
skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> I wanted to put a question to the community to help some University
> researchers.

In the first instance, direct them to the Fibre Optic Association's YouTube
channel https://www.youtube.com/user/thefoainc as it's the best resource
available for learning about fibre and optics.

> They are wanting to know how much, in DC's particularly people rollout MMF
> vs. SMF

Data centre people still roll out Multimode. Companies still regularly roll
out Multimode on campus networks. I don't agree with the practice, but it
happens.

They're working on a technology to extend the capacity of Multi-Mode, to
> the speeds of Single-Mode - and want to know if there is a market for it.

There's never been a lack of speed for Multimode - only a lack of distance
due to modal dispersion.

My gut however was that for a while, not many people bother rolling out MMF
> as the costs are rather similar when you compare it against comparable
> features.

Multimode optics are less expensive to manufacture than singlemode optics.
While prices have converged at 1gbps, you'll find at 10, 25, 40, and
100gbps the cost of multimode is half or a quarter of singlemode.

-JB