[AusNOG] ASC sub cable news

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Fri Apr 1 13:42:05 EST 2016

On 01Apr16, Dino Sosic allegedly wrote:
> Seems like there might be bright light at the end of this tunnel:
>
> http://www.itnews.com.au/news/australia-to-get-long-awaited-perth-to-singapore-subsea-cable-417567

Definitely good news that there will be a new cable from SIN to PER.

Two questions that spring to mind are:

1. Given it's a consortium of largely Optus and Telstra, are they
   consuming all capacity for reselling and thus there will be no
   access to direct waves?

2. I was under the impression that the backhaul from Perth to the east
   coast was pretty much dominated by Telstra/Optus. That means that
   even if you buy into SIN->PER at a good price you'll still have
   disproportionate backhaul costs to the rest of Australia.

My point being that I wonder whether this is of much value to anyone
bar the incumbents?

Mark.