[AusNOG] Legal Challenge To Meta Data Laws

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Wed Sep 30 22:36:09 EST 2015

On 9/30/2015 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2015, at 7:01 AM, Andrew Kitchen<a.kitchen at xi.com.au>  wrote:
>
>> >I think now we have Malcolm as PM the best thing we can do first is lobby to have the laws taken away from Brandis put them into the Communications portfolio and then have amendments made to bring all these laws into line?.
> I find the notion that having Turnbull as PM will make any difference to data retention immensely entertaining. Top-shelf WhirlNOG, massively funny.
>
> As soon as the legislation passed both houses, every MP from both major parties put a ?Done? tick in the ?Data retention? box. They won?t be revisiting it. That?s not how they work.
>
> If you want anything to change, you need to build a community, lobby key decision-makers, turn the status-quo into a painful annoyance for MPs, establish a new consensus. Make it happen. Spend years and dollars on it.  Just like the BCA does when they want new tax laws, just like the MCA does when they want changes to mine approval regulations,

Or the best one, the NRA in the US when they want the government to
leave their guns alone.
That lobby group would have to be one of the most powerfull in the
developed world.
In fact that is a bit similar when the Australian government said right
we are getting tuffer on guns, most people went, oh fare enough then and
just handed them over and got a financial reward, but in the USA when
similar schemes get mentioned the NRA stomp their feet and refuse to budge.
Hmm this is a bit of an odd comparison I know, but it kind of works, at
least in my own mind.
Maybe a less dramatic example would be the CBAA, who have lobbied the au
government to retain the community radio sector hear in au, the UK
sector hardly gets any government support at all and no funding.
But yes lobbying is the way to go.
Regards Chad.

--
Chad Kelly