[AusNOG] AUSNOG in the news

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 16:31:00 EST 2015

The current delegation means that AG's via the CAC approves your DRIP, or
not. If they don't, there is available appeal to ACMA within Dep't Comms.

If data retention is moved to Dep't Comms, there will be no real means of
securing an independent review.

As things stand, ACMA is effectively looking over the shoulder of AG for
data retention. What's not clear is if this will play out with ACMA taking
a more liberal line than AG, and finding against the AGs on appeals. If
this happens frequently, they may want to move data retention to ACMA.

Concurrently, there is an inquiry to having ACMA abolished. It's all rather
confusing. If they abolish ACMA, who will hear the data retention DRIP
appeals?

Paul Wilkins