[AusNOG] Data Retention

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Sep 25 11:40:53 EST 2015

On Sep 25, 2015, at 11:34 AM, James Morgan <jmorgan.au at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark, whether I lobbied the Government or not has little to do with how hard it's made to sound.  And frankly; who cares?  Yep, I didn't lobby them and as such am not complaining.  Certainly the legislation does not mention BGP, however you'd be wise to translate functional requirements into technical ones.

Not when the legislation only mentions functional requirements.

If you’re translating the legislation’s functional requirements into technical requirements such as, “If you’re running BGP to a customer, log,” then you’re doing it wrong: That criteria would end up catching managed enterprise network services, for example, even though the legislation does not actually require those kinds of businesses to retain anything.

If you’re a licensed carrier or an ISP, you need to get excited about it. If you aren’t, you don’t.

According to Chad’s post last night, he isn’t an ISP. So he doesn’t need to retain anything at all, even though he runs an over-the-top email server. Yet for some reason he’s agonizing over a DRIP and actually bothering to have a conversation with an AGD bureaucrat.

If his description of his business last night is accurate, the maximal extent of conversation he needs to have with AGD is, “No, and if you keep calling me I’m getting a restraining order.”

And yet he's submitted a DRIP?

Unfathomable.

  - mark