[AusNOG] Data Retention

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Fri Sep 25 09:49:55 EST 2015

> Okay, I'll ask the question.  Why does this have to be made to sound so
> hard?

Because the legislation is self-contradictory, and reading it doesn't
actually tell you what you have to do?

> If you take a simple reading of what's required

I'm not sure there is any such thing as a "simple" reading.

> Stash the log file.

Simply stashing log files might get you most of the way there. But most of
the way may not be good enough.

> The worst that can happen is your request is rejected, right?

No.

> There seems to be a lot of worry about submitting a DRIP, but do you really
> need to?

No. NOT submitting a DRIP = "declaring you are fully compliant"

> and made a few tweaks that you could be reasonably compliant and therefore
> don't need to worry about doing so.

"reasonably compliant" isn't "fully compliant".

> Sure, from where we sit the legislation is poorly written.  The process has
> been poorly handled.

Yup, and yup.