[AusNOG] Data Retention

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Thu Sep 24 22:54:16 EST 2015

On 9/24/2015 7:19 PM, Mark Newton wrote:
> Why is it confidential? You're either an ISP/carrier offering certain types of services, in which case your obligations are a matter of public record; or you aren't.
>
> It clearly isn't privileged legal advice because you've just spoken about it in a public forum.
>
> Seriously, all of you people: AGD would dearly love it if this stuff was smoke and mirrors skullduggery, kept away from public eye; but it just isn't. There is no confidentiality requirement whatsoever written into the legislation. So talk about it. Communicate about why you're doing. Make sure that those outside the industry can see what a massive clusterfuck it is. And make sure AGD understands that none of the meetings they ever have with you will be confidential, put them on record with names and direct quotes every time.

I think the term Clusterfuck isn't used often enough, it is a good way
of describing these bits of legislation.
The government just want information that is already publicly available
such as IP addresses, of servers, which by the very nature of how DNS
works are already publicly available.
I think this stuff really should be moved to the communications
portfolio, and then we might actually  get some people dealing with this
stuff who actually have a clue, and who are some what technically
minded, and who can actually perform a traceroute.
Its a bit of a joke really.
CPK Web Services does not have an IP range or a network for that matter,
as I have already stated, both publicly on social media and in our DRIP
we have written agreements in place with Micron21 who take
responsibility for the network and related stuff.
But then we have the over the top services such as email.
Anyway I feel better after having a bit of a rant.
I will give them the one or two main IP addresses that they can get from
doing a few lookups themselves, if they could be arsed.

Regards Chad.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager