[AusNOG] Data Retention

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed Sep 23 08:14:02 EST 2015

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So the noise on DR has died down.  But we actually have 3 weeks left to the
> deadline of where submissions are due to be submitted.

No, the deadline to submit was really over a month ago.
Oct 13 is the date we have to be compliant, meaning either
  (a) we must have all systems implemented and running
or
  (b) we must have a DRIP ACCEPTED AND IN PLACE.

Since the process for (b) takes 60 days, the submissions must have been
made about 40 days ago.

> For those who have submitted... it would be interesting to hear what you
> actually did in the end... did you just happily comply and it is clear to
> you what you need to do and are ready to do it?

I don't think there's any "happily".
My DRIP was submitted 22/July, I got notice of the result of their
assessment last week.

> are you just hoping DR will go away with MT now PM?

That'd be the best outcome :)

> Given I know about a dozen in the 'Am still confused and have done nothing'
> - I am wondering if us as a group are going to just let everyone go it
> alone, or if we're going to put some resources together to help the small
> guys.

Those who don't already have them in are pretty much already in trouble,
and will already be relying on whatever "good will" might exist. Of
course, it's NOT an offence to NOT submit a DRIP (which is AFAIK, the only
way to apply for an extension, exemption or variation)... but FAILING to
submit one means you are in effect, saying you're fully compliant as at
the date of implementation (13/Oct/2015)

> Have we thought of a community resource with basic templates, responses, a
> decent FAQ

Would have been very helpful, and what I thought CA was doing very early
on. (It didn't happen)

>, etc And is anyone out there willing to contribute to a Wiki on
> the subject?

I seriously doubt it.

> I was hoping one of our industry representative groups would
> have done this... but apparently not... so I think it is up to us - those
> who are actually having to do it.
>
> Thoughts?

My only thought is.... "Too late!"

R.