[AusNOG] The new Minister for Communications is Senator Mitch Fifield

Rod rod at rb.net.au
Sun Sep 20 21:38:28 EST 2015

Hmmm,  do you think we should follow the route of the USA, undisputed king of capitalism, and have a second rate, fragmented Telco industry operating with virtual monopolies in various states/areas through the USA?  The customer experience in many large cities in the USA is woeful by our standards. Do we follow the USA down?

Our nation stands to reap significant benefits all through society (Health is just one example) and industry by having much faster ubiquitous internet access. Our large telcos don’t have the financial incentive to develop this infrastructure on their own, and their failure to deliver over many many years speaks volumes, and the smaller players do not have the financial muscle to make a dent in our large country. NBN is the way to go. Problem is that politicians and their executive arm (eg ACCC) got in the way of a good solution.

Rod