[AusNOG] NBNco: "Let's start competing with our customers!"

ausftth at mail.com ausftth at mail.com
Sun Sep 20 06:50:13 EST 2015

> The whole 121 POI thing was the ACCCs making NOT NBNCo’s

I'm not quite ready to absolve NBNco from this mess, even if the ACCC was in the driver's seat. NBNco most definitely was the one opening the door:

“NBN Co recognises however that there are many factors that need to be considered in making a decision on POI location, so we are very pleased to be supporting the ACCC’s consultation process on this important industry issue,” NBN Co chief executive, Mike Quigley, said.

"NBN Co is also considering other alternatives, including distributed POIs at every fibre serving area, or a minimised number of POIs serving to centralise all network traffic."

The first quote is directly from an NBNco press release and the second from a Computerworld article referencing aforementioned PR.

In the end two govenment entities and the government itself willfully failed to make the right call when it was due. Why is the NBNco now trying to do an end run around the ACCC when the damage is already done?

Sources:
http://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-releases/consultation-on-number-and-location-of-nbn-points-of-interconnect.html
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/365247/nbn_co_accc_propose_points_interconnect_locations/

Jared