[AusNOG] Legal Challenge To Meta Data Laws

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Thu Sep 17 15:28:26 EST 2015

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, Paul Wilkins wrote:

> The FAQ is Attorney General's view of the Act, but not conclusive.
>
> What you're actually required to do, is submit and implement a data
> retention plan to the CAC,

Actually, even that's not *completely* correct.
You need to be "compliant with the act" by the 13th. If you WON'T be fully
compliant by then, you have the option of submitting a DRIP (details of
how you INTEND to be compliant, timeframes, etc). IF your DRIP is
submitted and accepted/approved by the 13th (remember they need 60 days to
assess it), then you are still compliant.

The remaining condition is that you DON'T submit a DRIP, you are then
ASSUMED to be fully compliant by the 13th - and you had better be!

> I am not a lawyer. This is not expert advice.

Ditto.