[AusNOG] Typical NBN Takeup speeds

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Thu Sep 10 10:07:45 EST 2015

Remember they get paid per install, not per hour or based on difficulty.

I got 100mbit unlimited (TPG - I know it's a dirty word around here)
simply because I could and it was cheap.
Not based on any actual need. If price was more of a factor (like with
other ISPs) then you can see why the slower speeds are popular.

My personal install wasn't too bad. Just a bunch of 3M sticky fibre
around the edges of the garage.
They used existing Telstra conduit outside, however between the old
Telstra gray box and the new NBN one there is about 3cm of exposed fibre.

On 10/09/15 09:58, Ben Hohnke wrote:
> The same is in Gosford - garbage installs. Contractors trying to get
> as many done as fast as possible it seems.
>

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 9:51 AM paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au
> <mailto:paul%2Bausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au>
> <paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au
> <mailto:paul%2Bausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All, just wondering what people are seeing as a typical NBN
>     plan speed from users, I am interested in understanding if people
>     moving to the NBN are actually using the faster speeds available
>     or if most people just go on an ADSL2 type speed like the 12/1 or
>     25M speed options.
>
>     On a side note to this, I had the pleasure to visit a nearby
>     suburb in my area which has recently become NBN fibre enabled, had
>     some nice lunch in a café and went for a walk afterwards, I was
>     totally and utterly disgusted by the install practices of these
>     NBN contractors, fibres just dangling from boxes shoddily mounted
>     to the outside walls of buildings, a bit of flexible conduit here
>     and there, no conduit clips on most, big gaps between the conduit
>     and the box to let water ingress, etc etc. this was even the case
>     on the local banks building.
>
>     I really was gobsmacked by this, people have no pride in their
>     work any longer, it would really take about 10 mins to walk down
>     the entire business area of this suburb with a 2M long stick with
>     a hook on the end of it and take out at least a hundred businesses
>     by just yanking on the fibre hanging out of these boxes and
>     breaking it, if this is what is happening everywhere then the NBN
>     is doomed IMHO.
>
>     Regards
>
>     Paul

Nick Stallman
Agentpoint Pty Ltd
The Real Estate Web Developers
Melbourne | Sydney | Miami
nick at agentpoint.com
www.agentpoint.com.au | www.zooproperty.com | www.ginga.com.au |
www.business2.com.au

Business2.com.au is a real estate agent information website that helps
you understand Portals, Technology and comes with FREE tools to help
your Agency become an online success!