[AusNOG] Keyboards...

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 20:05:17 EST 2015

On 4 September 2015 at 09:13, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:
> Hi List,
>

>  Whats a good keyboard that you all use day in day out that wont wear out so
> easily and has good button sizes and placement for hitting the ever
> important button combos we use often?

+1 for IBM Model Ms. The first one I got I was given for free (thanks
Kwak!). I liked it so much I bought a refurbished one from
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/ for spares - and paid close to as much
in postage as the price of the keyboard. Refurbished ones are now
quite a bit more expensive (I paid $80 USD if recall). Apparently the
model to get is the 1391401 because it was the peak of manufacture
quality and has drainage channels. There are a few guides around on
how to clean them.

Having also had the problem of not being able to use them at work
because they're too loud, I designed up a coffee mug to make up for it
- http://www.cafepress.com/modelm

Occasionally I go through periods where I get a bit of pain in my
finger joints. I'm not sure what causes it, perhaps I go through
periods of hitting the keys more aggressively. I've found that
changing to a different, yet also good keyboard fixes that, so here
are other keyboards I use or have used:

- Apple Aluminium wired keyboard (fully supported under Linux,
including a choice as to what the function/media keys are mapped to by
default)

- Dell SK-8115 keyboard that came with my Dell PC in 2009 -
surprisingly good for a keyboard that comes "for free", as was the
mouse (a logitech under the hood I think).

- Original Microsoft Natural keyboard

- The subsequent generation slimmer Microsoft Natural Keyboard

For example, for the last couple of months I've been using my Apple
Aluminium keyboard here at home.

I don't have the Microsoft keyboards any more, I gave away the
original one because I hadn't used it in a long time (to DSL for those
in/from Adelaide) and I think I wore out the second one.

The other thing I now do is use my own keyboard and mouse/trackball
when at work rather than having to put up with what might be crappy
supplied ones.

Since your fingers/hands have to last you a lifetime, I think it is
important to have and use good quality input devices, which may or may
not actually be expensive.