[AusNOG] "How to use IPv6 Link-Local Addresses in Applications"

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 13:22:52 EST 2015

On 20 October 2015 at 01:04, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark,
> How to  scale beyond the local segment?

It sounds like you think I'm advocating only using Link-Local for
applications. Is that the case?

I'm saying if the application end-points are on the same link, the
application should use Link-Local addresses if it can. This isn't
really me saying it, the IPv6 default address selection RFC prefers
Link-Local addresses over GUA and ULA addresses if there is a choice.

This draft is about why using Link-locals is a good idea for
applications when possible, and how to do it.

> Will you need to rewrite the
> application when you hit the upper limit and the developers are long gone?

Not unless you've hired really bad developers who've gone out of they
way to prevent other address types from being used when they shouldn't
have.

Supporting Link-Locals in applications requires a little bit more
effort than supporting other address types, because the application
also needs to deal with the Link-Local scope or zone information,
however support for other address types is basically inherent in
support for Link-Locals.

> Sounds like a world of pain.

More robustness and more security usually results in less pain.