[AusNOG] Data retention

xlene xlene at 404ed.org
Tue Oct 13 13:00:18 EST 2015

On 13/10/15 12:44, Robert Hudson wrote:

If you absolutely want privacy on the internet, then you need anonymity,
and for that I would recommend TOR rather than a vpn, or if you are
really paranoid, TOR over a VPN from Mcdonalds Wifi with a Linux ISO on
a thumbdrive from a disposable laptop, but then you're not downloading
pirate movies.

> The privacy/anonimity of TOR is known to have been broken a while
> ago.  Sorry.

No it has not its just that many users dont take the time to understand
how it works. my guess would be yourself included. It has never been
able to or claimed to protect you from an adversary that has total
network awareness. However in that situation using something similar to
comment you replied to is about as best practice and anonymous as you
will get but as he said if you are practising that sort of trade craft
you are probably not downloading bad hollywood movies.