[AusNOG] Data retention

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Oct 13 12:45:40 EST 2015

On 13/10/2015 12:19 PM, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:

> On 13 October 2015 at 12:16, Peter Fern <ausnog at 0xc0dedbad.com
> <mailto:ausnog at 0xc0dedbad.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/13/2015 12:07, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
>     >
>     > It occurs to me that if folks were latency-sensitive, it would be a
>     > simple matter to find an overseas company who has .au endpoints?
>     > There are plenty around -  ExpressVPN, PureVPN, BlackVPN, Overplay,
>     > and VPNSecure come to mind quickly.
>
>     But then they're subject to data retention...
>

> How do you figure that? A US company (especially one who is only providing VPN
> services, so is not an ISP) is not subject to data retention..?

Are you sure about that?
I'm not convinced the nationality of the company is relevent. A US company that
provides a VPN service (a relevent service) from infrastructure it owns or operates
physically located in Australia, would be subject to data retention requirements for
that server in Australia *and arguably every other server on the globe that provides
the VPN service.

*Look for those listed VPN services that quickly come to mind to silently drop their
nodes in Australia, if they haven't already.*
*
Paul.