[AusNOG] Data retention

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 12:44:32 EST 2015

On 13 October 2015 at 10:00, Mister Pink <misterpink at gmail.com> wrote:

> 'privacy advocate' is a lofty term for people who just want to torrent
> without wanting Dallas Buyers Club letters.

Yeah, no.  I advocate privacy, I've never downloaded movies/songs/etc
"illegally".

> I'm not judging those people, but using a VPN in reaction to the data
> retention laws for the most part belies the problem they are trying to
> solve, and calling that 'Privacy' pollutes the term for people with more
> legitimate causes.

So, if I, in principle, disagree with the government mandating that my ISP
keep data on me which can be used to put together some very interesting
facts on my private life that my ISP/the government/whoever manages to
obtain the data has no right i knowing, and decide to take steps to keep
that personal data private, that's diluting the term?

I respectfully disagree.

In effect (unless you roll your own) it means you trust a cheap vpn
> provider in a random country more than your own Gov't?  and if your VPN
> provider of choice isn't already selling your data to data brokers, they
> probably will be soon.

As per any service provider, you should make your judgement on more than
just price.

> If you absolutely want privacy on the internet, then you need anonymity,
> and for that I would recommend TOR rather than a vpn, or if you are really
> paranoid, TOR over a VPN from Mcdonalds Wifi with a Linux ISO on a
> thumbdrive from a disposable laptop, but then you're not downloading pirate
> movies.

The privacy/anonimity of TOR is known to have been broken a while ago.
Sorry.

> Lets agree on this list to call a spade a spade, and not concede moral
> high ground to people who may not deserve it...

Sure, there are people who use VPNs to do stuff that they shouldn't be
doing.  But that doesn't make everyone who uses a VPN guilty of being party
to those activities.