[AusNOG] Data retention

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Tue Oct 13 12:38:47 EST 2015

On 13/10/2015 12:07 pm, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> On 13 October 2015 at 12:03, Ben McGinnes <ben at adversary.org> wrote:
>

>> Yes and we do that because the only way for individuals and families
>> to have unmonitored services locally is to run their own and if they
>> were capable then they wouldn't need out advice.
>
> It occurs to me that if folks were latency-sensitive, it would be a
> simple matter to find an overseas company who has .au endpoints?
> There are plenty around - ExpressVPN, PureVPN, BlackVPN, Overplay,
> and VPNSecure come to mind quickly.

Nice idea.  Another method, depending on cost factors, end user
requirements, quality of instructions and/or ability to follow them is
to use something like AWS for a local entry node and exit nodes around
the globe.  Even if you assume the virtual VPN/VPC/VLAN provider is
hostile or potentially hostile, there's still fairly solid transit
which you can still maintain end-to-end encryption on, but have a
single provider you can annoy about latency issues.

I suspect that anyone considering that will find the most prohibitive
part to be the cost since they will charge for the traffic at least
once, but probably twice.  On the other hand, there's already plenty
of instructions for configuring OpenVPN for AWS servers and at least
one or to server images for them.

Regards,
Ben