[AusNOG] Data retention

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Oct 13 12:30:44 EST 2015

On 13/10/2015 12:03 PM, Ben McGinnes wrote:
>   So instead I propose that those who have implemented their plan state that they
> have and at least list whether communication is being interpreted as each email or
> IM connection, or if it actually means each packet. Since the government never
> actually specified that publicly, just let politiicians with little clue and worse
> sense talk about it. Anyway, that way we can make sure that those with exemptions
> don't break their word, whilst still revealing what everyone really needs to know
> over the next 18 months. Regards, Ben

Email is interpreted as each email. not packet-by-packet. They have said this publicly
several times. They don't care about protocols, they care about services.
Its not each IM connection, unless you provide your own IM service. If you don't, and
your customers are setting up IM connections and exchanging IM messages with servers
you don't control/provide/collect-logs-for, then these are OTT and out of scope - you
don't need to log it at all.

Don't make it any more complex than it needs to be!

I'm not sure what you could possibly mean by "those with exemptions don't break their
word" - an exemption isn't a promise to customers, its a stay-out-of-court card.

Note also that data retention has never meant that this stuff isn't being retained
anyway - its always been perfectly legal to voluntarily log and keep all this data,
and hand it over on request. All this new legislation does is force everyone to do it,
whether they want to or not. Just because someone has an exemption, doesn't mean they
aren't doing some of it anyway.

P.