[AusNOG] Data retention

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Tue Oct 13 11:35:27 EST 2015

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015, Noel Butler wrote:

> _"your IP address, your destination addresses*, your location, the time
> you connected to the web, the duration you connected to the web, and the
> volume of data exchanged._"
>
> the destination address is explicitly EXCLUDED..

web address, excluded, yes. ip address - depending on protocol, may or may
not be.

> the volume of data used half a point there, because they want you to
> keep the daily/monthly

The legislation I'm pretty sure says we have to record and retain the data
"per connection/session". So if your ADSL service connects and stays up
for 6 weeks, then we'd have start date/time, end date/time and total data
over that 6 weeks. If it was a dialup session for 2 minutes, it'd be the
same - start and end date/time and data used for that 2 minutes.

> But like i said far be it from me to expect a pollie to be honest.

I don't think any of us disagree there.
Easy way to tell when a pollie is telling a lie..... their lips move.

R.