[AusNOG] Data retention

Damian Guppy the.damo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 16:06:12 EST 2015

What's your end goal? If it is to avoid the new datarention going into
effect tomorrow, using a VPN isnt going to change what is being recorded on
you. Dataretention is capturing Email headers on ISP (australian) email
addresses, which a VPN wont change, and the IP assigned to your session
when you connect (either via ADSL, NBN, 3/4G etc), which again, a VPN wont
change.

VPN also introduces a lot of other issues such as latency and GEOIP
breakages that it reduces the end user experience of the internet, so for
most people, pumping all their data through an international VPN is going
to make using the internet unjoyful.

Then there is the whole issue of complication, what % of australian users
have the technical ability to set up a VPN? I would put that in the single
digit percentage, and then what % of thoes will actually set up a VPN?
Again I would guess maybe 10% if you're lucky? So worst case maybe a 0.5%
increase in international traffic? That's not even factoring in how much
was international traffic to begin with which wouldnt increase
international usage anyway, just change how its coming in.

--Damian