[AusNOG] Disturbing new spam trend?

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Oct 8 11:46:31 EST 2015

On 08/10/2015 10:25, Ross Wheeler wrote:

>> SPF if setup correctly using hardfail would (should) have 550'd during
>> initial connection from badguy, should not have been any backscatter
>> generated.
>
> I'm not sure I agree.
> Where mail has been accepted by (say) hotmail but then found to be
> undeliverable and bounces.... how does my friends mail server reject
> the bounce message?

I see your point, in that case, with great difficulty, because RFCs say
never block them.

More of a question is why is hotmail generating backscatter, google
groups used to generate backscatter, probably still does, I blocked them
on this, my personal server few years ago, I'd never do that for others
mail servers I manage unless they accept the risks, and of course no way
could I do so on a public ISP server without causing problems, but maybe
they've got their act together now, one would hope so.

> I'm not convinced ISPs can really run hardfail based entirely on SPF
> without causing unacceptable collateral damage.

It's run on many decent sized ISP's/Uni's around the world, you only
have to follow certain other lists to see that, I've run it for, gawd,
over a decade, I've run it on a couple previous employers ISP mail
servers, and every mail server I've managed, with next to no complaints,
but never dealt much with offsite forwardings where SPF may become an
issue if the forwarding does not re-write sender, hell, even mailing
lists are smart enough these days by doing that, this was however a
problem with Microsofts attempt at their own SPF which checked froms,
and so caused untold problems with lists, I guess thats why their
version never took off.