[AusNOG] AUSNOG in the news

Simon Sharwood simon at jargonmaster.com
Fri Oct 2 10:44:57 EST 2015

Back from a break and see I need to make a disclosure: I'm a journo and I'm
on the list.

Can't be entirely sure I did it on this occasion but it is my practice to
reveal I am a journo when I sign up for just about anything, per item 8 of
the MEAA Code of Ethics. http://www.alliance.org.au/code-of-ethics.html

FWIW I hardly ever post, never do so as a shout-out for comment and never
to promote stories I or colleagues write. I don't quote from the list, but
contact posters directly if the list sparks a story.

IMHO the list is source of what I believe have been important stories. On
data retention in particular, the AGD's mishandling of the implementation
would not have come to light without public access to the list.

If you want me to go, I'll be off. But I urge you to keep the public
archives up. The list shines a light into some dark corners the government
would rather stay dark, but which IMHO deserve exposure.

Simon Sharwood
APAC Editor
The Register

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

> The problem is, its waived as fair use as Mark Smith pointed out when its
> to a public forum (meaning mailing lists, forums, usenet, etc), since it by
> design is public you have no expectation of privacy in content, the courts
> IIRC have already made this clear many years ago, the only time you have
> copyright and legal recourse is with private correspondence
> dissemination which mailing lists are not. All those disclaimers are not
> worth anything on public lists where anyone can sign up.
>

> On 01/10/2015 17:24, Mark Stewart wrote:
>
> It becomes a matter of copyright and who has ownership. Having it publicly
> open with no real copyright definition and what you can and can't do with
> the information is up for debate.
>

> At least when you have a disclaimer, it protects copyright and ownership
> of the information within. Speculatively, breaching the disclaimer means
> breaching copyright laws and no one in their right mind would knowingly
> breach copyright laws just the sake of a story. Well, I would hope not...
>

> But getting back to your question, yes it can be enforced through the
> courts, if it got that far, if the disclaimer was worded in a way in which
> to protect copyright and ownership of the information contained within.

Simon Sharwood | JargonMaster Corporate Communications |
M +61 (0)414 37 37 26 |
E simon at jargonmaster.com | W www.jargonmaster.com
24 North Street Marrickville NSW 2204 AUSTRALIA
ABN: 14743763968
Work blog: jargonmaster.wordpress.com
Free/Busy details: http://www.jargonmaster.com/calendar/
I'm a member of  DHBC.org.au and a vExpert