[AusNOG] Fw: important

Rhys Hanrahan rhys at nexusone.com.au
Thu Oct 1 13:05:05 EST 2015

Hi Everyone,

I've actually been thinking about posting about this lately... So I thought I'd put this out there while we're on the topic.

We've been getting hit a lot with the crypto virus emails, and they seem to be difficult to block. It seems over the last few months there's been a steady increase in the amount of stuff getting through. Particularly seems that spammers are leveraging what appears to be legitimate mail-out services to get their spam through.

Has anyone found an appliance or otherwise that we can run on, or alongside, our existing filtering that does well at blocking some of this stuff (particularly the crypto viruses - even server-side AV seems to miss it).

I've heard of Ironport before, and I'll definitely be looking at that, but curious to know if there's anything else out there that can be recommended?

Most of the things I've considered so far seem to be aimed more at a single enterprise / on-site IT (charging per user), instead of being aimed at larger-scale centralised ISP-style filtering.

Appreciate any suggestions. This has slowly become more and more of a problem in recent months.

Thanks!

Rhys Hanrahan
Chief Information Officer
Nexus One Pty Ltd