[AusNOG] Current "Best Practice" WRT email size

Shane Short shane at short.id.au
Thu Nov 26 13:49:57 EST 2015

paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au wrote:

> Whilst it’s fine to say that the SMTP servers and general bandwidth
> capacities of ISP’s can easily handle larger messages you also need to
> take into account the large majority of businesses that still run on
> ADSL2, if you allow large messages then you destroy that bandwidth for
> 10 mins or whatever depending on the size, that all impacts the
> productivity of all users on the site.

You're doing this any way, because they have to send the entire email
before you decide it's too big and reject it-- assuming you're doing it
at SMTP time, I've seen people who don't and send the ENTIRE email back
as a bounce. But the congestion surely becomes a network engineering
issue then, right? Isn't this what we're paid to fix?

And how exactly is this any different from dropbox? You're still needing
to get that big file out a small pipe, the medium is (largely) irrelevant.