[AusNOG] Current "Best Practice" WRT email size

Shane Short shane at short.id.au
Thu Nov 26 13:42:08 EST 2015

 > We have an in-house (but publicly visible) file transfer service (a
corporate drop-box, if you will).  Because apparently
uploading/downloading from this service uses significantly less
bandwidth than it would use to transfer the file via email, and the disk
space on the server dedicated to this
service is much cheaper than mail server storage.  And maintaining two
systems is easier and cheaper than maintaining one.

Go have a look at your netflow logs and tell me how much bandwidth SMTP
traffic *actually* accounts for. I would wager it's probably less than
your windows update traffic :).
It's also worth noting that an envelope size limit here doesn't prevent
bandwidth waste from the customer end anyway, they send you the entire
envelope BEFORE you can tell them it's too big and tell them to sod off.
Repeat this 5 times while the customer tries to rezip/recompress or just
sends it again because they don't understand your bounce message.