[AusNOG] NBN’s $800 million Optus network might need to be rebuilt

David Hughes david at hughes.com.au
Thu Nov 26 09:41:57 EST 2015

>From my (sometimes faulty) memory I recall a payment of similar scale in NBN 1.0 to Optus as compensation for decommissioning their HFC network and using NBN as the access network for those services.   I guess at least this time NBN got something out of the deal.

The concerning bit is that NBN appears to only now have an understanding of the problem.  I'd have hoped that due diligence would have highlighted the issue prior to putting pen to paper.  They may still have gone ahead with it but at least would have known what they were buying.  Or perhaps they did know at the time, decided to still go ahead, and it's taken this long to come to light.  Let's hope it's the latter.

Thanks

David