[AusNOG] Fwd: [Internet Australia - members] Net neutrality

James Hodgkinson yaleman at ricetek.net
Wed Nov 25 01:42:21 EST 2015

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015, at 22:15, ausftth at mail.com wrote:
> > [Internode zero rating Netflix] And they're doing something wrong?
>    Yes. Playing favorites and steering customers towards Netflix, to the detriment of Stan and others.

But *why* is it wrong? Do we know if Stan has offered content nodes and
been knocked back, or asked for money after having their traffic QoS'd?
It's not like they're marking people's quota double for the other
company's services.

Because Stan are a relatively new player in the marketplace, should that
mean Netflix can't leverage their capital to buy hardware and spread
their product? Another example: A few of the providers have been
providing free IPTV services for years, directly competing with cable TV
- no complaints there?

Why is this new situation, where they are not *negatively* impacting
other services (by QoS or other traffic handling methods) part of the
net neutrality debate? It's muddying the water from the *real* issues
that are being discussed.

James