[AusNOG] Fwd: [Internet Australia - members] Net neutrality

ausftth at mail.com ausftth at mail.com
Tue Nov 24 22:38:04 EST 2015

James Hodgkinson wrote:
> "(c) providing some content providers advantages over others, that is
> also to your benefit, such that their content is more attractive to
> customers, disadvantaging their competitors? (e.g., zero metering one
> but not all VoD content providers traffic)"
>
> So if a big player like Akamai, Netflix, or Google offers to throw a
> couple of cache nodes in your racks and a) reduce your
> international/edge traffic b) provide better services to your customers
> and c) potentially more customers for both of you, you're going to turn
> that down in the interests of Neutrality?

I think you missed the pertinent part of Mark's quote, i.e. applying zero rating. What you describe is a cost saving, which nobody would turn down. Where it becomes a Net Neutrality issue is when you then chose to apply zero rating to those providers that offer you cost savings or other incentives. As long as you just keep the money it's all good :)

It's when you start playing favorites that things get hairy.

Jared