[AusNOG] Fwd: [Internet Australia - members] Net neutrality

paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au
Tue Nov 24 20:14:51 EST 2015

In many overseas markets now people have been dealing with higher bandwidth for a number of years yet still seem to offer lower prices than I think would be possible here.

I think maybe we need to look at other models which are working and determine where the issue lies.
Is it backhaul congestion ?
Is it backhaul cost ?
Are OS providers offering more interesting options for time of day bandwidth or other options for customers ?
Do they prioritise their traffic and provide customers better QOS on sensitive data like voice and video at the expense of other traffic ?

Looking deeper into other markets may shine some light on this, but I think the simplest answer for us right now is that bandwidth is just too expensive still, and nobody except the big guys can afford the amount of bandwidth that they really need to satisfy all of the customers without their costs blowing out and making them unprofitable/unviable.

It seems that most of the smaller providers in many OS areas make their money filling the gaps that the big guys leave with fixed wireless opportunities, there are providers who only do that in small towns and areas which need capacity and the big guys either won’t build because of cost or can’t be bothered because there isn’t enough customer base, this happens here as well of course, but I don’t think on the same sort of scale that there is in other countries.

I know we do QOS within our network to prioritise voice traffic, our customers are all business customers so for the small amount of effort it is for us we do it, we don’t have capacity issues though but it’s there if it needs to be, but at the end of the day unless the customer is using us for voice then they are still just fighting everybody else out there for Internet bandwidth, QOS on our network won’t make one ounce if difference to them at the end of the day.

Regards
Paul