[AusNOG] NBN NNI recommendations

Philip Loenneker Philip.Loenneker at tasmanet.com.au
Tue Nov 24 10:04:35 EST 2015

Hi all,

We already supply NBN services to customers, however our NNI configuration is not ideal. We are in the process of building a new NNI for a PoI we will start servicing soon, and rather than just copy what we already have, we're going back to the drawing board to try identify a better setup. I've been reading through the NBN technical documents, but I'm after some advice beyond the scope of their documentation. I wasn't around when it was originally set up so I'm going by what I've been told and have been able to identify so far. Please excuse any foolish questions :)

We are using IPoE, not PPPoE. The CVC is terminating on a single router hooking into Freeradius for static IP and rate limit configs.

I'm particularly interested in getting some advice based on practical experience regarding what works and what should be avoided, including:

*         Benefits of terminating the CVC on a switch vs the router that terminates the AVCs (providing DHCP+RADIUS+Queuing)

*         How to avoid the DHCP lease causing grief for customers that change their on-premises router (MAC address change)

*         Our current config requires split-horizon bridging, otherwise traffic was dropped by nbn - this breaks inter-customer connectivity which we would like to resolve

On a related note, we have previously purchased layer 2 NBN services from another supplier, where they present a VLAN on our cross-connect which is effectively presented untagged on a UNI-D port. We put IPs at each end and can route across it without needing DHCP etc. There is no additional equipment connected to the UNI-D to terminate a VPN, it's just our device with no special port config. I can't find documentation around this type of service (it seems to be available for voice and multicast traffic, but not regular traffic), but it's something we're interested in being able to supply. Does anyone know how this might be done?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Philip Loenneker