[AusNOG] Remote Work - (SIP/Security/CGNAT)

Jonathan Brewer jon.brewer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 19:35:15 EST 2015

Hi Luke,

On 13 November 2015 at 11:59, Luke Iggleden <luke at iggleden.com> wrote:

> We've recently been tasked with assisting getting SIP running from
> Australia to the Philippines for remote staff workers on DSL tails. SIP
> server is in Sydney, behind Vocus transit.

It appears that CGNAT is a hurdle, plus 350-450ms of latency, and the
> inability to obtain a static IP on a 'residential' grade tail.

350 ms from Australia to the Philippines is awful. I've used the RIPE Atlas
platform to do some traceroutes from five random probes in AS9299 (PLDT) to
several Australian carriers in Sydney.

Mean averages per carrier in descending order, and a link to the
measurement follows:

   - Internode: 191 ms https://atlas.ripe.net/measurements/2928271/#!probes
   - Telstra: 219 ms https://atlas.ripe.net/measurements/2928272/#!probes
   - Vocus: 322 ms https://atlas.ripe.net/measurements/2928273/#!probes
   - AARNet: 330 ms https://atlas.ripe.net/measurements/2928269/#!probes
   - TPG: 351 ms https://atlas.ripe.net/measurements/2928270/#!probes

If your remote workers are on the dominant Philippines carrier PLDT, your
first step will be to shift your SIP server to a transit provider with
better routes to the Philippines. If they're on Globe, the same
measurements can be done - I'm happy to show you how to set them up.

Cheers,

Jon

P.S. thanks to APNIC, NSRC, and RIPE for helping out with
http://pacpeer.org/ which is helping me discover how networks in this part
of the world are held together.