[AusNOG] Airflow for Cisco switches in racks

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Fri Nov 6 20:25:34 EST 2015

I front-mount my switches and accept that I need to allow for a
front-to-back cable path for my servers. In a rack with mixed gear-types
it isn't that much of a drama because usually there's an available path
for the purpose.  If done with decent cable management it also 'looks
the part' - there are some quite good cable-management bars that have
'brushed' penetrations that allow you to pass cabling through to the
rear of the rackspace in an organised and tidy fashion.

As a datacentre operator (with cold-isle containment) nothing
exasperates me more than seeing equipment mounted incorrectly - but we
havn't policed this too zealously. Yet.  The bigger battle to fight is
the one around ensuring customers fill in their blanks when they remove
equipment!

Mark.