[AusNOG] load balancing ADSl connections

Russell Brenner rbrenner at Brocade.com
Wed Nov 4 07:33:58 EST 2015

Legalities aside, isn't it fairly pointless to load-balance ADSL from one side?

Egress load-balancing from the tail end seems like more effort than it's worth.

IiNet and others, when they offer this service, bond the two links via a single NTU and at the DSLAM, creating a bidirectional aggregated link via MLPPP.

The same could be achieved via layer 3, but you'd need to use eBGP multi path on both ends (ISP and yours), which would require a half decent router or Quagga instance.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 12:22 PM -0800, "Ross Wheeler" <ausnog at rossw.net<mailto:ausnog at rossw.net>> wrote:

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:

> Hey Jock,
>
> I think you're looking at the wrong side of the network as the one you need
> to focus on the legalities of..?  You can do whatever you want with your
> ADSL services.  Your legal issues are going to be in the wireless network
> itself - if your'e passing third party traffic (i.e. the users of the
> wireless network are not on the same property as you), then you need to be
> a licensed carrier.

(in the interests of accuracy and completeness).... OR have a nominated
carrier declaration (NCD).

R.