[AusNOG] Cisco 887VA vs Cisco 867VAE

Matt Carter matt.carter at iseek.com.au
Tue Nov 3 12:21:54 EST 2015

> Both support VDSL2, so no problem there for NBN FTTN compatibility (hopefully), but the Cisco 867VA has the added benefit of having BOTH VDSL2 WAN and gig WAN > (Cisco 887VA only has a single VDSL WAN port). The Cisco 867VAE also has an additional gig LAN port, as well as the standard 4 x 100Mbps LAN ports.

NBNCo have an 887 and an ISR 2911 synced up ok but in my experience the 867VAE is not compatible with Alcatel ISAM7330 VDSL DSLAM in use by NBNCo and of course the 887 is EOS. 867VAE will get to showtime using VDSL profile 17a but noise margin on D1/D2/D3 is 0.0db and link will immediate go into UAS and subsequent retrain, resulting in a ongoing link flap condition. The DSLAM shows an error establishing G933.2 but offers no further information. I tried a few different firmware including the latest (35j_23jE) but I just couldn't get it to sync up properly. Anyone????

Additionally, the information at hand would also suggest that of the modems that do sync up, only a select few will be able to push VDSL2 rates at say 100/40, many CPE appear to be retrofitted ADSL2 chipsets which have insufficient CPU/backplane to push VDSL2 speeds, so it will be interesting to see how the calls relating to speed faults are handled because I can see rafts of people saying they aren't getting what they should be and it comes down to the CPE running out of puff.

Quite impressed with the netcomm NFV4, it passed all tests with flying colours and is very configurable.

The following is a 867VAE attempting to achieve stable sync with NBNCo's Alcatel ISAM 7330 at NBNCos NTF.  :(

CPE1#sh control vdsl 0

Controller VDSL 0 is UP

Daemon Status:           NA

                        XTU-R (DS)              XTU-C (US)

Chip Vendor ID:         'BDCM'                   'BDCM'

Chip Vendor Specific:   0x0000                   0xB0C7

Chip Vendor Country:    0xB500                   0xB500

Modem Vendor ID:        'CSCO'                   'BDCM'

Modem Vendor Specific:  0x4602                   0xB0C7

Modem Vendor Country:   0xB500                   0xB500

Serial Number Near:    GMK191802RL 867VAE- 15.3(3)M

Serial Number Far:     eq_nr multiline_cpe software_rev

Modem Version Near:    15.3(3)M

Modem Version Far:     0xB0C7

Modem Status:            TC Sync (Showtime!)

DSL Config Mode:         VDSL2

Trained Mode:            G.993.2 (VDSL2) Profile 17a

TC Mode:                 PTM

Selftest Result:         0x00

DELT configuration:      disabled

DELT state:              not running

Trellis:                 ON                       ON

SRA:                     enabled                         enabled

SRA count:              0                       0

Bit swap:                enabled                         enabled

Bit swap count:         0                       0

Line Attenuation:         0.0 dB                  0.0 dB

Signal Attenuation:       0.0 dB                  0.0 dB

Noise Margin:            18.0 dB                 12.3 dB

Attainable Rate:        142199 kbits/s           56258 kbits/s

Actual Power:             7.8 dBm                - 0.9 dBm

Per Band Status:        D1      D2      D3      U0      U1      U2      U3

Line Attenuation(dB):   7.3     16.0    25.9    3.4     12.7    20.1    N/A

Signal Attenuation(dB): 7.3     16.0    25.9    3.4     11.9    19.2    N/A

Noise Margin(dB):       0.0     0.0     0.0     12.3    12.3    12.3    N/A  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Total FECC:             4211                     0

Total ES:               7                        0

Total SES:              7                        0

Total LOSS:             6                        0

Total UAS:              134                      134

Total LPRS:             0                        0

Total LOFS:             6                        0

Total LOLS:             0                        0