[AusNOG] Cisco 887VA vs Cisco 867VAE

Reuben Farrelly reuben-ausnog at reub.net
Tue Nov 3 10:49:04 EST 2015

On 3/11/2015 10:38 AM, Mike Taylor wrote:
> However, the 'new' generation 800 series, in our in-house testing are
> all pretty good.

Very interesting testing.  Thanks for posting..

> And, yes you can upgrade just the modem firmware for xDSL

Not on the 867VAE-K9s you can't.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/data_sheet_c78-693249.pdf

"Fixed Firmware solution for General deployments. No ability to upgrade
the Firmware on the 860VAE models (applicable to all non-Wifi models)"

And from Cisco SR# 635364131 which I raised earlier this year:

---

1. I have confirmed from the engineering team that we have no
supportable options available to upgrade the firmware on the 867VAE CPE.
We can consider migrating to the 867VAE-W or any 887/897VA where we can
replicate with this antique firmware then step up to the later firmware
& drivers where Broadcom has addressed a number of Ikanos
Interoperability issues.

---

Which all quite sucks, really especially if you run into an
interoperability problem, like I did.

Reuben