[AusNOG] Cisco 887VA vs Cisco 867VAE

Radek Tkaczyk radek at tkaczyk.id.au
Mon Nov 2 17:35:42 EST 2015

Hi Guys,

For those that use Cisco CPE routers, I'd like to get some opinions on these two models of routers, Cisco 887VA and Cisco 867VA.

We have always used the Cisco 887VA for ADSL2+ connections for our business clients (those that won't pay from proper Ethernet over Copper, and a Cisco 881), but with the NBN FTTN now coming up, we are re-examining our preferred choice of routers.

Both support VDSL2, so no problem there for NBN FTTN compatibility (hopefully), but the Cisco 867VA has the added benefit of having BOTH VDSL2 WAN and gig WAN (Cisco 887VA only has a single VDSL WAN port). The Cisco 867VAE also has an additional gig LAN port, as well as the standard 4 x 100Mbps LAN ports.

I have always thought that the 867VAE was a cheap alternative to the "proper" Cisco 887VA,and we always used the Cisco 887VA so that we had the best option available, but am interested to hear what other people's thoughts are here. Especially considering that the Cisco 867VAE is cheaper than the Cisco 887VA (not by much though)

Regards,

Radek Tkaczyk
Ph: 0413 383 231