[AusNOG] 10Gb Switching - Cheap but good

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat May 30 19:16:51 EST 2015

On Sat, 30 May 2015, Russell Brenner wrote:

> 10GBASE-T is pretty nasty in terms of power consumption, so the MGBASE-T will provide a few other lower power options (as well
> as EEE for 10GBASE-T).
> There are presently no options for 802.11ac wave 2 when it hits the market, since 10GBASE-T + PoE+ would require an enormous
> amount of power and subsequent cooling, not something that bodes well with enterprise comms environments.

802.11ac wave 2 doesn't need multigigabit in an enterprise environment.
I've gone on about this almost a year ago [1], but the short version is
that real-world performance won't exceed 1Gbps full-duplex, and you're
better off having many APs than big powerful ones since the high rates are
extremely distance limited. Worst case you could run two cables, the
high-end APs all come with two ethernet ports these days.

Now, 802.11ax, or "High Efficiency WLAN" which is learning from the
lessons of 802.11ac and trying to improve real-world performance
instead of just the headline numbers, might change things. But that's
another 2+ years away.

[1] http://lists.ausnog.net/pipermail/ausnog/2014-July/025361.html

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |