[AusNOG] Hayman Island (was: Anyone need small cabinets?)

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Fri May 15 10:39:53 EST 2015

I'd hazard a guess and suggest backhaul is the problem and there isn't enough population/business for anyone else to run something. You'd also find that all of the locals would have a Telstra mobile (as that is the only coverage choice there), so that anyone (ie. Optus) wanting to build something would have almost zero user base to justify it (I don't think the occasional tourist really counts that much). Classical encumbent monopoly really.

As someone else mentioned, it's no different from a lot of other regional locations around the country where the Telstra mobile network is your only option. You don't even have to go that "regional" for it to be an issue.

regards,
Tony.