[AusNOG] NetRegistry/TPP & Telstra DNS problem

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 14 15:08:32 EST 2015

      From: Elliott Willink <Elliott.Willink at vibegroup.com.au>
 To: "'ausnog at lists.ausnog.net'" <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>
 Sent: Wednesday, 13 May 2015, 13:33
 Subject: [AusNOG] NetRegistry/TPP & Telstra DNS problem

Hi Guys,

Our support line is being hammered since about 8pm last night by customers who are on Telstra cable at home (VIC based, but may be interstate as well) who are having massive trouble accessing some of their services hosted by us but with DNS hosted by TPP/NetRegistry.

I am convinced it is a fault within Telstra's network somehow - Telstra's cable DNS servers time out to any NetRegistry or TPP hosted domains. I have spoken to NetRegistry support multiple times and they are claiming they are getting roadblocked at Telstra's end, with Telstra claiming there is no issue. Public DNS and all other providers I have tried have no issues with TPP NS's.

/ These symptoms sound like Telstra's DNS resolvers can't reach any (or some) of the NetRegistry or TPP authoritative name servers, which would explain why it is only effecting all or a subset of NetRegistry/TPP domains, but no others.

Same conncetion:
nslookup tppwholesale.com.au 61.9.133.193
Server:  dns-cust.lon.bigpond.net.au
Address:  61.9.133.193

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to dns-cust.lon.bigpond.net.au timed-out

nslookup tppwholesale.com.au 61.9.134.49
Server:  dns-cust.win.bigpond.net.au
Address:  61.9.134.49

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to dns-cust.win.bigpond.net.au timed-out
/ However, the above looks like Telstra are stopping external networks from accessing their DNS resolvers, which is quite normal, because it is saying that 'Request to dns-cust.win.bigpond.net.au timed-out' i.e., nslookup isn't getting any response at all from dns-cust.win.bigpond.net.au
/ So there might be two different problems, or the symptoms of one "problem" - blocking external access to DNS resolvers, not actually a problem - is being interpreted as a symptom of another problem.

nslookup tppwholesale.com.au 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    tppwholesale.com.au
Addresses:  2403:1400:2:1::107
          114.141.204.51

I know this is an issue between Telstra and NetRegistry but could anyone point me in the right direction on who I can follow this up with at Telstra's end to get a resolution? This is actually the second time it has happened (occurred a few weeks ago, and was resolved after about 12 hours).

Thanks guys,

Elliott Willink
Vibe Group
(03) 8060-4507