[AusNOG] Facebook on NSW-IX

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Thu May 7 12:35:19 EST 2015

On 5/7/2015 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
> Funny enough we have a similar issue, we receive about 150mbps from their peering to us in LA and about 10mbps over their AU peering.
> When I ask Facebook they say all traffic should come from their AU pop however this isn?t the case.
>
> I?ve gone so far as rejecting all their more specific prefixes via transit?s and I got all outbound to them going fine via AU peering but return didn?t change.
> I?ve tried everything to no avail.

I am pretty sure that Facebook only have caching edge servers in Australia.
Meaning that the system still needs to pull quite a bit of data off the
USA customer origin servers in order for it to be cached.
Given the amount of data that gets uploaded to Facebook on a daily
bases, even with some kind of database caching it would still need to
refresh the data off the US servers quite a bit.
Not to mention our ISPs route traffic in strange ways, as an example M2
route traffic to my own origin server from Melbourne to Sydney and then
back to Melbourne again.
Oh well as long as it works and the end users / clients don't complain I
guess that's all that matters really.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager